Friday, December 14, 2018

PK-5: Let's Take a Look at.... Shadow Puppet EDU!

Hello!  I have been to many technology conferences in my lifetime.  I have seen so many tools and apps and I've encountered many great ideas!  Sometimes I've seen so much in one day or in one week, that I forget what I saw.  And it takes a still moment like I had last week for me to look at my iPad and say "Wait, what is THAT?"  In this case what I discovered was the app "Shadow Puppet".
I was so excited about it, I decided to highlight it here so you can get excited about it too!

Picture of icon for shadow puppet app
Shadow Puppet- The app icon looks like this!
Shadow Puppet is an app your students can use to tell a story.  Similar to iMovie, students first have the ability to choose the videos and pictures from the camera roll they want to put in their story.  What makes Shadow Puppet different from iMovie, is that students can also choose to add pictures and videos from selected websites.  They have access to maps, landmarks, the Library of Congress, NASA, Flickr Creative Commons and so much more!

Students first choose the images and videos they want to include in their story.

Next, students tap start and narrate as they flip through the pictures/videos they've included in their story.

Picture of student flipping through pics as they tell the story.
Students narrate as they flip though the pics!  Super easy!

As students record they can also draw, zoom and add text on the pictures...





This is SO easy!  Then when students are done, they simply tap SAVE and they have some share options.  Students can easily share their creations into digital portfolio apps like Seesaw and Class Dojo! As a matter of fact- Seesaw and Shadow Puppet were made by the same company! You will notice some similarities like the green check mark button!

Your students' stories can be about anything you teach.  This means that an app like Shadow Puppet can be integrated into ANY content area you teach throughout the day! Students can create videos about  math, science, social studies, people, events, places, processes... I could go on and ON!

When you download the app, you can sign up for free resources.  You will get an email of helpful information including lesson plan ideas and storyboard planners!

Picture of Shadow Puppet lesson plan ideas
Example of Lesson Plan Ideas!  They send you ideas for every content area when you sign up!
Picture of sample storyboard
Storyboards-  They send you blank ones to help students plan!
    


Awesome 2nd grade teacher at Krueger ES, Jennifer Parker,  had her students try Shadow Puppet!  Check out this student sample!


Here's a math sample for our little ones!  Let them create a video about numbers!





(Notice you can add theme music also!)  I really could go on and on.  My mind is exploding with ideas!  I think you and your students will love integrating this app into your curriculum!  This is the kind of app that is great for your students to show what they know about a particular topic while allowing them to be creative at the same time!  I love this app!  I hope you will give it a try and as always, I'm here to help you if you need me!

No comments:

Post a Comment